[m-users.] 22.01 beta release available

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Mon Jan 24 09:38:58 AEDT 2022

> This is because you have relatively fresh,  intermediate bootstrapping
> compilers that enable you to build ROTDs. Once in a while, this build chain
> breaks down unless you update your bootstrapping compiler itself.

No, he is right; I was wrong. You are right that if you want to compile an ROTD
from Mercury to executable, you need a recent Mercury compiler, and this is
indeed what I was thinking of when I sent my original email, but he is also right
in that you do not *have to* compile ROTDs from Mercury: because they ship
with pre-built .c files, you do not need a working Mercury compiler at all.
(Unless of course some internet gremlin mangles those .c files.)

Zoltan.