[m-users.] Free and Ground in the same error line?

Sean Charles (emacstheviking) objitsu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 02:36:46 AEDT 2023

> I would not read too much into that recommendation.  It was written as
> part of the change that added state variables to the Mercury language.
> At that point, no one had much experience using, for parsers or sequence
> generators, or anthing else.  My opinion, with the benefit of twenty
> years of hindsight, is don't use DCGs.  (The one exception to that
> might be if I were in the process of porting an existing Prolog
> program to Mercury.)

It was! SWI-Prolog to be precise. I am so comfortable with DCG-s that when I first started to learn Mercury I stayed with then I guess, a porting comfort blanket if you will.

I have removed some recently in light of recent messages, and, to be honest, the code isn't that much more busy and it's utterly obvious about what's going in and out of the predicate without having to know about '-->' if you hadn't seen Mercury before.