[m-users.] users Digest, Vol 107, Issue 14

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Oct 17 16:37:42 AEDT 2023

Hi Volker,

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023, Volker Wysk wrote:

>> > If you're using one of the Java or .NET web frameworks, you can compile
>> > your Mercury to a Java or C# library respectively and call it from the
>> > framework.
>> >
>> > Julien.
>>
>> Our experience with the Java backend is that it offers great performance.
>> A Mercury application complied to Java is viewed from the outside as a
>> standard Java application (Spring Boot…) and can be easily deployed in the
>> cloud, using Kubernetes for scalability. Just in case…
>
> I've programmed in Java many years ago. And I think that the asm_fast grade
> must be WAY faster than Java.

Not at all. One of the applications I built at work in Mercury is a
dispatch recommendation system -- essentially a tool to recommend which
couriers to assign jobs to. The difference in performance between the
version compiled to C and the version compiled to Java, after the JIT
compiler has had a decent go the Java version, is below what you can
meaningfuly measure.

Julien.