[m-users.] A proof of concept video game, preview of progress.

Sean Charles (emacstheviking) objitsu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 03:22:06 AEST 2023

I've published a short video of my proof-of-concept of using Mercury as a means to write a simple space shooter game in 2D, using a library called Raylib.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmiv5a731V8
2023 SEP 23 -- Super-Mega Invaders - Take 01
youtube.com

It's nowhere near the final version of course. This video is just to show of:

  * the easing engine based on Robert Penners now famous equations
  * a text animation engine based on the easing library
  * an on-screen display module for the score management
  * an asset management library for sprite sheets and sound effects / music

There is *no sprite* engine so far as I haven't needed that level of generalisation.

All I can say is that, even without destructive updating of the core structures, so far it is holding 59 FPS without issue, I keep piling on the code and it just stays around 58/59 FPS.

I have to say that using Mercury for this, it's an absolute dream! I am no expert at mercury and I still stumble and fall quite often, but I would much rather use Mercury than C++ for writing games. I don't think AAA games would be viable UNLESS the destructive / in-memory updating could be addressed, assuming that was an issue of course but usually AAA games optimise everything, and use shaders for as much as they can, I have used one shader, the default shader!

The way Mercury keeps my code honest and logically sound is worth its wight in gold.

The video quality sucks, I used OBS, well, I've never uploaded anything to YT before ever so I guess there's more to learn there as well, I don't care, it gets the point across.